Kenmore Pride

by Kevin Burkholder


I’ve lived in Kenmore for the last 13 years and I’ve been involved here for 14 years. I can truly say I am proud to live in Kenmore with my wife and kids. What’s even better: I can truly say that Kenmore itself, as a place and as a people, gave me this value.



The Facts:
Observing people’s love for Kenmore presents as much difficulty as finding kids who like candy. Go to a sporting event. Go to a parade of the Holiday Festival on the Blvd. Go to a senior citizens’ event at the Community Center. Go to a board of trade meeting, or visit the Kiwanis. Stop into local businesses. Talk to Kenmore’s spiritual leaders. You’ll hear a common refrain: we are proud to be a part of this community.


What that really means:
This type of community pride can only come from a community that has added value to people’s lives over a long period of time. Schools, relationships, family history, organizations -- all of these have bred a deep pride felt by so many. Would there be some reason to fake this kind of pride?


I liken living in Kenmore to the plight of a Cleveland sports fan: everyone knows about some well known failures but in the long run the hard work and dedication hold your commitment.


The Challenge: How do you talk about Kenmore?
I remember a couple years ago when my new neighbors showed up on my porch and asked me about the neighborhood. With no hesitation I told them I love living here. Despite a few seasons of difficulty over the years, I love living here.


Can you say the same? Do others know that about you? Think about your Facebook posts. Think about your comments at family gatherings or social events. Does the way you talk about Kenmore show your pride to live in a place with a positive outlook and so much good going on?


Schools, sports, businesses, churches, organizations, families, community efforts: let’s let the world know that we’re proud of our community. Let’s show our excitement both for the way the past has shaped us and for all the effort of so many working to move Kenmore ahead into a bright future!

No comments:

Post a Comment